2013 was full.
That is the best word I can think of to describe the year.
Full of blessings.
Full of sorrow.
Full of time with family.
Full of drawing near to Jesus.
In January, we were so overjoyed and blessed to welcome my sweet niece Grey into the family. My bags were packed, just waiting for Brandon and Stacey to tell us she was on her way! She made her grand entrance into the world on the 27th. What a blessing she is to our family! I can't believe she will turn one later this month!
We started February off in Birmingham watching the Superbowl with Brandon, Stacey, Grey, Mimi and Grandpa.
Mimi even came for a visit in February!
Later in February, we spent some time hanging out with my parents in Nashville.
On February 20, my mom woke me up sometime around 5:00am. My dad had lost all ability to move below the waist. My dad had his first spinal surgery later that day. It was a whirlwind, to say the least.
Beau grew to love the hamburgers in the hospital food court. Sweet boy!
One of the blessings of tragedy, is extra family time. Beau would have probably not gotten to see Alex last February, had it not been for my dad's hospitalization.
Pipi loves his grandsons so much! It even brought a smile to his face after spinal surgery! What a fighter!
Nana loves them too!
You can sort of see baby Palmer in this one. I was about 7 months pregnant.
You've got to get creative at the hospital! Beau enjoyed playing his leap pad with Aunt Angie!
Angie and Raleigh both celebrated birthdays in February. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what I did for Raleigh's birthday. I guess we were still in Nashville, and I'm sure I gave him a card, but that may be all.
March was full too, as we prepared for new life. We spent time taking down the guest room that is now Palmer's nursery. We prepared a space for a precious son, Palmer, whom we assumed would be arriving in May! Good thing we got the nursery ready in March, since he made his grand entrance in April.
I know it is blurry, but I love the image above for what it represents. Beau loved using the tools to help Raleigh take apart the daybed.
Ta Da! A crib for Palmer!
Beau enjoyed a Costco yogurt!
Nana learned how to pop a wheelie on my dad's wheelchair!
Just a sweet pic of Beau sleeping at Nana and Pipi's house.
We built the wheelchair ramp. We always assumed my dad would be coming home, so we made all necessary preparations for a wheelchair.
Beau had lots of picnics in Nana and Pipi's den.
All smiles on one of visits to see my dad.
Beau had some time at home in March to enjoy the Christmas gifts he had received.
We celebrated Easter at home with Brandon, Stacey, and Grey. It is one of my favorite holidays of the year, maybe my very favorite. Beau loved dying eggs.
Baby Grey came to celebrate Easter with us!
I met some old and new friends at an adoptive mamas Korean meal! So fun and special to connect in real life with these women.
We were also blessed with 2 baby showers in March to prepare for precious Palmer. The first shower was a family shower hosted by my aunt Carolyn and cousin Sarah! Everything was lovely.
Beau and Isabella enjoyed the fruit kabobs!
L to R: Stacey, Mimi, me, my mom
The second shower was a friends shower hosted by my friends Ashley, Karen, and Dana at the home of Ashley. It was beautiful and helped us prepare our hearts and home for the upcoming arrival of Palmer.
Apparently my mom and I wore the same outfits to both showers. We had a a lot going on.
Front to Back: me, Dana, Karen, and Ashley
April was by far the fullest month of the year.
Full of life.
Full of the beginning of life, and all that entails.
And full of the end of life, and all that entails.
The first weekend of April we went on a nice walk on a trail we discovered near our house. It was a wonderful day being outside.
We tested out the new double stroller that my parents' had given us.
Beau loved the walk and had even more fun when we stopped for a picnic lunch near a park.
The next Friday we had our 36 week check-up. It was April 12. Everything looked great at the doctor and I was showing no signs of early labor. My dad was being moved to hospice that night, so my doctor gave me the go ahead to drive to Nashville for a few days.
This picture was taken in my dad's room shortly before moving to his hospice room. We had just gotten to the hospital after driving from Atlanta. My dad told my mom to take a picture of us. So she did.
So neat to have these pictures...baby Palmer was born less than 48 hours later. That night, my dad told me to make sure we took a beach trip this year. Even though he was being admitted to hospice, I had no idea my remaining time with him would be so short. Had I known, I would have spent every minute talking to him and telling him how much I loved him, and writing down his life story. But maybe God has a way of protecting our hearts that way. Only He knows the number of our days.
Saturday we spent the day at hospice with my dad. He was alert and completely of sound mind that day. Saturday evening we headed home to my parents' house. In the middle of the night I simply could not get comfortable and woke Raleigh up and made him rub my back. I figured I might as well take advantage of the last few weeks of pregnancy. After several hours of trying to get comfortable, we decided I was actually having contractions and we started timing them. They were consistently 5 minutes apart for several hours, so I called my doctor in Atlanta.
They nurse on call said it was probably just false labor since there were a lot of stressors. She said to immediately drink several bottles of water and take a warm bath and the contractions should stop. Well, they never did. I finally called my mom, who had spent the night with my dad, and told her I might be in labor. Ha! Like she needed one more thing on her mind.
Well, I went outside for a few minutes for some fresh air and 2 of my parents' neighbors happened to stop by. My mom's neighbor Naomi is a nurse and assured me that I was in labor and that I needed to get to the hospital. Thing is, we were in Nashville and didn't exactly have a doctor.
Also, I was getting hungry. So I made Raleigh and Beau go to Publix and bring me a foot long sub and chips and a coke! Ha ha ha! I put some things together in a bag while they did that.
After eating the sandwich, we headed to the hospital.
Palmer Cannon Gresham arrived April 14. What a miracle. God timed his birth just perfectly. An outrageous act of God's lavish love poured on me.
You see all through my dad's hospitalizations, he had been telling the doctors and nurses that his goal was to be in Atlanta on May 8th for Palmer's birth. Our gracious God wrote the story even more beautifully and I gave birth in Nashville almost month early. Jesus was near.
I have to say, that was a funny car ride to the hospital. I was in labor and trying to get in touch with an OB in Nashville. My cousin Erica was also expecting, so I called her doctor, who happened to be on call. He met us at the hospital once the triage area verified that I was in fact in labor.
Nana stood right outside the door while Palmer was born and heard his first cries.
Words can't describe the joy of new life.
Two days later we were released from the hospital on my 30th birthday. We headed straight to visit my dad.
In another show of God's lavish grace, Brandon had the forethought to come with us and take pictures of my dad with Palmer. Jesus was near.
So much love.
I love this fist bump!
Mimi came to meet Palmer!
Beau loved bonding with his big cousin Alex.
One week from the day Palmer was born, my dad passed away. April was full. My friend Karen snapped the photo above at my dad's celebration of life service. April was full. I still can't even believe I had to say goodbye to my dad and that I haven't talked to him in 8 months. To God be all the glory for carrying me through. Jesus was, and is, near.
I must say that in the hours and days after Palmer's birth, my friends and family totally jumped in and carried us through. My sister Angie had basically set up an entire nursery for us at my parents' house since we obviously had nothing in Nashville. We were fully stocked back in Atlanta, but that wasn't doing us much good.
We eventually got settled back in Atlanta in May. Mimi and Grandpa came for a visit.
I celebrated my first Mother's Day as a mother of 2 in Nashville. Raleigh cooked one of the most delicious meals I've ever had.
I mean isn't this beautiful?! It is a caprese salad made with watermelon!
Palmer continued to grow!
And nap!
Stretch!
Beau learned to swing from the trapeze on his swingset!
We celebrated Memorial Day at our house. Angie and Mahlon came and we grilled out and spent the day outside.
Beau grew into a fabulous big brother!
Popsicle time!
We enjoyed ice cream with Nana in June!
Beau got some quality time with his Uncle Greg!
Beau turned THREE in June and we celebrated with a day at the children's museum.
Palmer was all smiles!
Look at those little bitty baby arms!
Nana and Beau did some splashing in the baby pool!
Beau's birthday lunch was at The Varsity, an Atlanta landmark!
July was marked by our annual beach trip! This was Beau's second time to the beach and Palmer's first trip!
I can't believe how little Palmer was!
Palmer also turned three months old during the month of July and Brandon took some portraits!
Beau got so excited, he tore right through the white screen!
Raleigh and Brandon started getting a little silly!
Later that month, Raleigh and I went to Beyonce! Thanks Raleigh!
August was marked by lots of simple family fun.
mmm... Korean food!
We attended an adoption celebration and Nana came with us!
September included several highlights! Including Nana'a birthday! We headed to Gentry's Farm to celebrate the wonderful mom, Nana, friend, and person that she is!
We also welcomed sweet baby Lily Claire into the family in September! New life always brings such joy!
Beau helped Nana organize her pantry!
Precious Lily Claire!
Beau helped Nana prune her hydrangeas!
Snuggles and cartoons in Nana's bed!
Apparently in October, Beau learned to shave!
And play guitar!
Palmer enjoyed his first bites of solids in October.
Beau was full of courage and tried his tricycle!
Beau helped Nana haul her pumpkins!
Our little Thomas the Train and baby pumpkin made Halloween extra special!
Beau takes his painting very seriously!
Cool October days called for indoor picnics!
We watched a lot of football!
Beau spent a lot of time helping Palmer! Sweetness!
November was spent trying to be intentional about giving thanks.
We hosted supper club and Palmer enjoyed the attention of the older ladies!
We packed some love into shoeboxes at Karen's OCC party.
We had a great time in Blue Ridge, GA thanks to the awesome generosity of Angie and Mahlon!
We finally had some chilly days and Palmer had to get all bundled up!
We did some shopping with friends!
And counted our blessings!
And December was spent celebrating all that Christmas has to offer...trying focus on welcoming Jesus into our hearts and lives, not just for a season, but minute by minute.
2013 was full and Jesus was near. On the mountain and in the valley, Jesus is near.















































































.jpg)































































No comments :
Post a Comment