Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beau at 18 months

Today Beau is 19 months old! I really can't even wrap my mind around that!! I guess that means he is really a toddler!

Before anything slips my memory, I want to take time to remember all about Beau at 18 months! We had his 18 month check-up today.

(Yes, I should have gone earlier since he is already 19 months old today, but I guess it was a new mom mistake. I honestly didn't really think about taking him to the doctor because he hasn't been sick. Then I remembered that babies have well check-ups at certain ages. Good thing I called last week to make an appointment!)

At the doctor's visit, Beau did great in the waiting room and was a trooper during the check-up. He did cry, but I can't really blame him. He had to get two shots. I always forget to write down which vaccinations he is getting and then I forget by the time I get home. Oh well!

Here are his 18 month stats:
Weight: 21.3 pounds, 3rd percentile
Height: 31.8 inches, 24th percentile

I was really happy about this!!! The doctor was pleased that he is still on the growth chart! Woop! Woop!

Our pediatrician said that Beau's language is around the 12-15 month level. I think that is great considering he heard Korean for the first 13 months of his life. :) We are going to see where he is at when he is 2 years old and at that point we will look at our options if he is not making adequate gains with his speech.

Right now, Beau says dada (dad/daddy), baba (bottle), and wawa (water). He also says buh for up and awah for shoe.

He knows that his name is Beau and will point to himself if you say, "Where is Beau?"

If you tell him it's time for a diaper change, he will lay down on the floor on top of the changing pad!

He consistently knows where his nose is and where his feet are. He will sometimes get other body parts correct, but not consistently.

Beau is doing a great job at using a fork! I think he really loves the independence. Some foods, such as rice, still make quite a mess but he is getting better at accurately using the fork, so most meals are not too messy. (Of course messy is relative, he is only 18 months old, so it's not like he never drops food!)

Over the last month, Beau has really gotten into his toy cars. He received several new cars at Christmas and he enjoys pushing them around. He also enjoys to roll a car back and forth with me or Raleigh.

Beau is also enjoying his riding toys. When he first got the riding toys at Christmas, he liked sitting on them, but he couldn't quite figure out how to make them move. Now he loves pedaling his little feet on the floor to move the toys. And of course he loves ramming them into the furniture!

Beau has also enjoyed his mega blocks this month. He is really good at putting them together and taking them apart. I see legos in our future! In fact, a Legoland is opening in Atlanta in March, so that might be something he enjoys this spring and summer!

Beau's favorite activity is playing outside! He LOVES to be outside! I think he got that from me!! :) I think we will join our neighborhood pool this summer!

Beau is still sleeping through the night which is a huge PRAISE!!! I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this before, but his "lovie" is a burlap pillow! Funny, huh?! When he first came home, he really felt comfortable being on our couch in the den. The couch had two burlap pillows as decoration. Over time, Beau attached to these pillows and now they are his pillows. They stay in his room and he rubs/chews the corners as he falls asleep.

The biggest new milestone for Beau this month is that he is learning to walk!!! It is so awesome! I thought my heart would burst with pride when he stood up and started walking. In that moment, I felt like if he never accomplished anything else the rest of his life it wouldn't matter. Raleigh and I are such proud parents! Each day he is walking more and more. He still likes to crawl, too, but he is making progress. It is so cute to watch him toddle around the house!! In the end, nothing I could have done would have made Beau walk any earlier, because he had to do it when he was ready. He had to decide in his own little mind that he was ready to take the risk and start walking!

Speaking of milestones, the Lord has been speaking to me a lot about this recently. When Beau first came home, I wanted him to "catch-up" quickly and start walking and talking and doing other things that children his age were doing. Very soon, the Lord started asking me, "Why?" Beau is perfectly designed by God, just the way he is. Nothing Beau does or doesn't do at a certain age will make him any better or worse. He is already a gift from God, just the way he is! Beau is my dream come true! He is precious and beautiful! I love his little button nose and the way he "fake coughs" just to get attention. I love the way he splashes in the bath and the way he smiles when Raleigh gets home from work. I love the way he cries when wearing his hanbok and the way he folds his hands when we pray before meals.

I love you Beau! Just the way you are!! I will always be your cheerleader and will give you all the resources you need to succeed, but no matter what, you are my priceless treasure, just the way you are!! I wouldn't trade a single thing about you!



your photo name

3 comments :

  1. Grow, Beau, grow! :) It is definitely easy to look forward to their next milestone and development, but it all goes by so fast. Thanks for sharing Beau with us through your blog. I always enjoy hearing about how you're all doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sweet age! We just celebrated 18 months and walking at our house too. Beau is adorable and is making great progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Atlanta is really getting a Legoland?! Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished