Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Beau is resting and doing well!


We arrived this morning at approximately 6:00 am and started the check-in process. By 7:3o am they were taking him to the operating room for surgery. The surgery lasted about 3 hours and the doctor said it went great.

He was in recovery for about 45 minutes before we saw him. That's when it got a little bit crazy. They moved us to our room and we were just putting our bags down when a nurse carried him in. Beau was pretty much hysterical. The nurse told me to sit down and then she handed him to me. I had no idea what to do with the iv and catheter and I wasn't sure if I could touch the incision site to hold him. Raleigh quickly stepped in and held Beau. (Raleigh was a child life therapist before going into the "corporate" world, so he is way better at hospital stuff than me.)

Beau stayed pretty wound up for several hours. His heart rate was in the 230's and his fever was 104. His oxygen level wasn't as high as they wanted so they made him wear oxygen. He did not like having that in his nose all day! I can't blame him! After the nurses had done all they could, the anesthesiologist came in. He was really nice and stayed with us and talked to us. He gave Beau some good anti-anxiety medicine and some stronger pain medicine and Beau eventually calmed down. It took a while for his fever to normalize, but it did finally come down. In the end, the surgeon and anesthesiologist think that Beau's heart rate and fever were mostly due to anxiety. Sweet Beau just worked himself into a frenzy and his little body was just over worked.

He has had 3 bottles of water, 1 bottle of milk and a few cheerios now. He wasn't really interested in eating tonight, so hopefully by tomorrow he will be ready for a little more food.

It is about 10:30pm and he is now snoring in the hospital bed! I'm not sure how long it will last, but for now Raleigh and I are just hanging out in the room. We should be able to head home tomorrow.

I will keep you posted. Here are a few pictures from today!


Good morning!

Beau was content to just hang out in the waiting room this morning!

When we went to our pre-op room, he felt safe in daddy's arms!

Here we are saying goodbye before the nurse took him into the operating room. If you can't tell in the last two pictures, he had been given a little medicine to help him relax.

Here is Beau after surgery and after several does of pain meds. Sweet boy!
your photo name

4 comments :

  1. Glad he is getting some rest and hope you all can get some too. Hope recovery is smooth. He is so adorable--such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that he is home and doing well. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so happy to hear that it all went well!!! Sweet little guy, you could tell in those two pictures that he was given something. I hope you are all home and getting some much needed r&r! Thinking of you guys and praying for a speedy recovery for Beau!! Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity12:46 PM

    Glad to hear it went well, but I'm sure that was a difficult & tiring day for all of you. I'm trusting you're home now, and we'll be praying Beau recovers quickly and fully!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished