Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My First Mom Task

Yesterday I felt like I had my first job as a mom. I went to a local pediatrician for an initial meeting. This was a pediatrician that had been recommended by a friend. I feel like the doctors that have been recommended to us are all wonderful, so it is going to be more of a personality preference as we make a decision.

So... the meeting went well and I felt very comfortable with her. While she looked over our son's latest Well Baby Check (WBC) she noticed things before I mentioned them to her. This made me feel good. For example, our son is noted to have mongolian spots (birthmarks). These birthmarks tend to look like bruises, so it is important to have a doctor document them. She mentioned this to me before I even brought it up.

Also, she knows the pediatric nephrologist that we have been consulting with. That could be helpful because I really want to have a "team approach" as we make decisions about surgery.

Speaking of surgery, obviously we won't make any decisions until our son is home and seen by a pediatrician and nephrologist, but it is interesting to think about the timing. Some people would recommend that we wait as long as possible once he is home so that it does not interfere with the bonding process. I can understand this perspective. However, I also can see wanting to have the surgery quickly. Obviously, we will rely on the doctors' feedback when we make a decision.

your photo name

1 comment :

  1. actually the surgery can bond you quicker than anything else.... as you will be the only thing safe and stable in the hospital - it will also make you want to take care of them as well...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished