Saturday, April 17, 2010

First Birthday/Dol

Koreans celebrate a child's first birthday, or Dol, by throwing a big party! One part of the party is called the Doljabi. During this special Korean tradition, the baby is propped up at a table of various foods and an assortment of objects and urged to pick up one of the items. It is believed the item the baby picks up symbolically foretells his or her own future or would influence his or her fate. There are also beautiful dol towers that can be made of rice, candy, cookies, etc. Raleigh and I are prayerful that our child will be home by his or her first birthday so that we can celebrate with our friends and family and honor our child's Korean heritage.

I came across this blog through an adoption forum I belong to and I just had to share the pictures of the Dol party. The food and decorations are simply beautiful.

http://www.mrsjennyl.blogspot.com/ (go to the post from April 13th and scroll down to see the pictures)
your photo name

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished