Monday, June 22, 2009

What Does It Mean to Be Productive?

This summer has really made me think about how I spend my time. During the school day, it is amazing how much I can get accomplished in five minutes. Here is an example. If we have 5 minutes until lunch I can finish teaching my small group, get the rest of the class to clean up their work centers and free centers (such as puzzles and blocks), oh no…someone just had an accident- must clean that up because the janitor is not here, get the kiddos lined up according to their lunch choice, hand sanitizer for all 19 little ones, arrive at the lunchroom with a minute to spare.

This summer, I am not nearly as productive. I can spend five minutes just deciding if I want Cheerios or Raisin Bran for breakfast. I am really enjoying the slower pace of summer. I want to spend the summer refueling my spirit so that I will be ready to roll in August with a new bunch of kiddos!

As I was thinking about how I spend my time, I started thinking about what "productive" really means. Although I feel most productive when I am doing things- teaching, doing laundry, cleaning, organizing, etc, this is not always being productive. You see, my purpose in life is to glorify God and further His kingdom. The days when I am truly most productive, are the days that I spend focusing on my relationship with Christ. Sometimes I treasure a clean house, an empty laundry basket, an organized closet. But God calls us to store up treasures in Heaven.

Angela Thomas puts it this way. "What do you think would be considered treasure in heaven? How about large accounts of forgiveness given? Drawers full of grace extended. A mattress stuffed with sacrifice and service and goodness. A cookie jar brimming with memories made and hugs given and tender looks across crowded rooms. A safe-deposit box packed with the secret life you have devoted to God. Maybe there is an old moving box stuffed with contentment. A scrapbook full of joy you accumulated on the journey. And love- wouldn't it be great to need a garage just to hold all of the love?"

Do not store up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6: 19-21

Now this does not mean that the daily routines of life are not important, but do them with a spirit of love, so that your attitude will be glorifying to God.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" Philippians 2:5
your photo name

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished